Requesting Lab Facilities
To use the lab facilities, there are a number of steps you must take in order to properly submit a request. Please note that these steps are structured in such a way as to keep lab operations running smoothly. You must also look over the information on our SONA system and lab policies before asking for permission to use lab resources. For a complete breakdown of each room and its capabilities, please see the technology map.
Requesting IRB Approval
Prior to conducting an experiment, researchers MUST obtain Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval. A hard copy must then be provided to BBRL administrator to be kept on record. For more information on the IRB, please visit their website.
Institutional Review Board Contact Information and Forms
Requesting a Researcher Account on SONA
Researcher accounts allow the user to place information about their study on the SONA system, make their study information visible to participants, and create study time slots. If you are interested in getting a research account for either yourself or a research assistant, you must complete the following steps:
- Email the lab manager with the name of the person requesting an account, UA ID number, and a contact email address.
- Once your account is set up, review our SONA systems guide if you have not already done so. You may not place time slots on SONA until you have properly requested lab room space. (See below).
Requesting Lab Room Space
Our lab has rooms with different capabilities available for researchers to use. As we aim to fairly coordinate room usage amongst a large group of researchers, the following steps are crucial to keep the lab in order. Failure to follow these instructions will result in a loss of lab privileges.
- Reserve rooms through your uark outlook calendar. Contact the lab manager for any questions.
- Decide which lab room fits your needs (e.g., need lots of computers? check out computer lab). Determine the dates and times you would like to reserve the room. Room reservations must include the set-up and break-down time of your study. This means that if it takes you 15 minutes to set up your experiment and you reserve the room at 10:00, your first experiment should occur no earlier than 10:15. Include the equipment that you will need for your study (e.g., number of laptops, video cameras, etc.)
- Check the availability of the room for those dates and times on the room(s) outlook calendar. If the room is available, request a reservation.
- Your reservation will not be confirmed until the lab manager approves it.
- Receive a confirmation for your reservation. Forward the IRB approval for your study to the lab manager if you have not already done so. You may now post time slots on SONA for the confirmed times.
College Human Subjects Committee
Chair: Betsy Howlett
Lab Reservation System
Researchers' eligibility for lab use includes Walton College affiliation and IRB clearance. Researchers and faculty members who need to use the lab must request to reserve the rooms and equipment needed on the lab through the Outlook calendar.
Card Access to the Lab
Researchers and faculty members who expect to be using the lab extensively can obtain card access by contacting lab personnel.